Study and work in Newzeland

Working while studying

While you’re studying, you can work for up to 20 hours a week during the academic year if you are studying full-time on a student visa at NZQA approved university or education provider and:

  • On a course that takes at least two academic years to complete; or
  • On an approved, full-time tertiary student exchange scheme that is at least one year; or
  • Engaged in a full-time course of study for a minimum of 6 months where the primary purpose of the course is to develop english language skills and you have an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall band score of 5 or above.

You may also be able to work full-time during the Christmas-New Year holiday period at the end of each academic year if you’re studying a course which is 12 months or more in duration.