Work and Study in the U.S.A.

In addition to studying at colleges in the United States, many international students plan on working during their study tour in America. The desire for employment not only exists to help supplement the cost of tuition, but to also gain valuable experience which will help to increase the amount of job prospects following completion of a higher education

As an international student, you are legally eligible to work on campus up to 20 hours during the regular semester (Fall / Spring) and 40 hours during the summer semester provided you have registered for classes in that semester. Usually, students working on-campus are called as Student Assistants.

International students can work off-campus through internship programs such as Curricular Practical Training (CPT)Optional Practical Training (OPT), or Academic Training (AT).

You can only work off-campus if you get an approval from the USCIS / your International Student Office / your Financial Aid Responsible Officer, depending on the type of your visa and the type of work that you will be doing off-campus. Please visit our career section – work authorization for more detail.

If you work off-campus without a proper employment authorization, your will be considered as working illegally in the US, and you might face deportation. Therefore, it is highly advisable that you do not do so.